Sunday, March 17, 2013

03/17/2013 - Decisions...Decisions...

I've reached a point where I have to put a couple of nacent stories aside.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been working on...trying to work on...two new stories, one titled "The Fast Fading Light", about Andromeda Reyes, an Enhanced Human living in the mid twenty-third century.  The other was my superhero story, about a near-superhuman named Artemis Xian.

Trouble was, I had no idea what they were going to do.

I knew that Andromeda was part of a team sent from Earth to assist in the investigation of...something.  I knew that Artemis was part of a team that fought a being named Balthazar and woke up...somewhere.  Now, this isn't anything unusual for me.  I rarely start a story or novel with a clear idea where I'm going.  I like to figure it out as I go along, seat-of-the-pants writing, if you will.

The problem with these two was that I wasn't getting anywhere.  I had written about a page of Artemis' story and stalled.  With "The Fast Fading Light", I was writing and rewriting the same paragraphs over and over again, trying to get a handle on POV.  Because I'd been focusing my attention on these two stories, I hadn't worked on anything else, so I essentially haven't written for a couple of weeks.

So now it's time to put these two aside.  I'll keep them in their notebooks, with their pictures and put them aside until I have a better idea what the hell's going on.

So I'm back to concentrating on BEFORE THE DAWN, "Rae" and "The Fault Lies Not...", as well as continuing to prep CAMPFIRE STORIES for publication on Smashwords, and editing A BRIGHT SYMMETRY.

And who knows?  Maybe ignoring them will lead me to writing them.  Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment