Thursday, August 15, 2013

08/15/13 - Progress

In the wee hours of the morning, I completed "The Fault Lies Not..." Like many of the projects I've been working on lately, it's a story that had been started years ago, stopped, restarted, stopped, abandoned, gone back to...it's been in progress so long, I don't even remember when I started it.  I know I was still living on Long Island when I started it. I moved to New Jersey in 1993.

There were many times that I wanted to abandon the story as a bad idea and find something else for the characters to do. For some reason, though, I just couldn't let it go. So I fought through it, removed plot points that didn't work (there was originally a political angle at one point). I do have another story that I had started, titled "Jedna", but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

At the moment, "The Fault Lies Not..." stands at 18,637 words. It is going to need a lot of work when I start editing it next month; I'm not completely satisfied with the ending, and there's some details that popped up later in the story that should've come up earlier. And though it's set in the late twenty-sixth century, the characters don't really take advantage of the advance technology at their disposal. It's set in a city with a very low crime rate, but there's no sign of the press hounding the characters, no outcry from the public, no pressure from the city's administration...

Yeah, it's gonna take a lot of work to get it right. Now, it only fulfills the literary axiom, the first draft doesn't have to be perfect...it just has to be finished.

It's finished.

Now I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment