Friday, October 11, 2013

Disaster Averted

As I've probably mentioned before, I have two complete novels, both of which sat untouched for the longest time. One of them, ON A COLD WIND, has been revised and is in the process of being edited. (Did the first pass this past weekend. The next pass comes around next month.)

The other, originally titled A MEMORY OF YESTERDAY, was going to be the next project to work on. After all, what's the point of having complete works that are just sitting there gathering dust.

So I happily went looking through my files for the complete copy so I can work on revising it.

After spending a lot of time searching through my files, I had to admit to myself that I had lost all copies of the novel. The disk that I had for it only had two chapters on it. Searching further, I found the first four chapters of the second half of the novel and part of the handwritten copy of the prologue. On another disk, I had a piece titled "Wanderer", which is essentially the first half of the novel. With a heavy sigh, I printed them out to start working.

Then I realized there was one place I didn't look.

On an end table, next to the chair I usually work in, was a stack of papers and two notebooks. One of the notebooks had A MEMORY OF YESTERDAY in it, handwritten and printed copies.

Disaster averted.

Now I can charge through it, get it revised and get it ready for publication.

I sigh deeply in heavy relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment