Thursday, November 13, 2014

Changing Course

There are five first draft projects that I have been working on, four shorter works - "Raven," "Stranger," "My Soul to Keep" and "Upon a Far Distant Shore," and the novel Under the Dark of the Moon. Progress had been slow but I had been moving forward on all the projects.

Until this week, that is.

I'm not really sure why but I haven't been able to do any first draft writing. I gave myself a couple of days without writing but nothing came. I'm starting to feel a bit of anxiety, like there's something I should be doing but I'm not.

So when you can't write...rewrite.

I'm turning to a project I've let languish for too long. I have a complete novel, titled Broken Memories. It concerns Special Agent Alexandra Sinclair, a courier with EarthGov Security in 2190. I completed the novel but never submitted it (probably because it's far shorter than what agents and publishers have deluded people into thinking a novel should be).

So now I'm going to be working on it while the other projects percolate in my subconscious (which is where I do all my writing). It's not really going to be easy; while the first part of the novel is more or less fine and just needs a few tweaks, the second part needs to be completely rewritten. (Fortunately, I'm a better writer now than I was all those years ago when I first completed the novel.)

Hopefully, by the time I finish Broken Memories, I'll have the other plot lines sussed out and be able to get them finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment