Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Future of the Novel

I've been thinking a lot about my vampire novel, Under the Dark of the Moon. I haven't worked on it for a while, mostly because I'm not sure about what happens after Chapter 22. That is, I know what's supposed to happen but I'm having trouble getting it down on paper. There are two big action sequences, one that has the coven being attacked, the other a strike against the Hunters's base in Upstate New York, which also culminates in the rescue of Brynna's husband, Georges. Action sequences always give me trouble. I generally have to plan them out in some detail.

I had been thinking of releasing the novel in installments. By the end of Chapter 22, I'm coming up on 72K words. It'll probably be somewhere around 100K by the time it's done. Breaking it up into four smaller pieces makes it easier for readers...and builds anticipation for the next installment.

It'll also light a fire under my creative ass to get the novel finished.

There are points in the novel where the story pauses, where it makes sense to make the break between installments. I'm going to start working on the first installment, It's title: Under the Dark of the Moon Book One: Upon the Setting of the Sun.

Of course, as I work on this, I'll continue to work on "Stranger," "Raven," "My Soul to Keep," and "Upon A Far Distant Shore." And there's the next edit coming up for "Brianna and the Three."

I'm actually feeling pretty good about my writing right now. It's a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment